The mid-century modern aesthetic has a lot of history behind it. It’s an architectural and design style that was prominent from the 1930s through the 1960s — and it has become a perennial favorite, which is why a mid-century bathroom remodel is so inviting.
There are certain hallmarks that you’ll need to know if you want to create a mid-century modern-style bathroom. Read on to find out those characteristics and advantages to this design.
Characteristics of a Mid-Century Modern Bathroom
One of the foremost concepts to keep in mind is that this design style focuses on simplicity, sleek and clean lines, and elegance. Here are some of the specifics:
- Mid-century modern design often draws on natural elements, which means that wood finishes, stone and leather can help you pull the look together.
- Vanities and cabinetry should be sleek and square rather than ornate. Similarly, simple hardware is best.
- Where tile is concerned, the idea is to keep the floor classic. Subway tile could work, as well as square or rectangular slates. You could incorporate simple geometric designs, too, if you want to add more visual interest to the room.
- When shopping for mid-century bathroom products, look for furniture such as freestanding tubs that make a statement, sleek light fixtures, and clean countertops featuring built-in basins.
- Color palettes generally revolve around white or light walls and medium wood shades, though dark wood is sometimes used, too. Accent colors such as nature-inspired greens or dusky blues can give the bathroom a classic, elegant feeling.
What Are the Advantages of Mid-Century Modern Bathrooms?
There are quite a few advantages to this design style, which is one of the reasons it has maintained its popularity through the decades. Some of these advantages include:
- Classic and timeless appeal: With a mid-century bathroom, it’ll be just as stylish a decade from now as it is today.
- Great versatility: Options for colors and finishes are virtually limitless. It is easy to find sinks, vanities, tubs, and mirrors that can fit into the mid-century modern design.
- Easy to upgrade: A few years from now, you can change the look of your mid-century modern bathroom by updating the accent colors, accessories, hardware and other small features.
As you can see, there are a variety of reasons that mid-century modern design has remained popular for close to a century. It’s a beautiful aesthetic that can work well in almost any home. When you’re ready to find mid-century bathroom products for your remodel, stop by Modern Bathroom to browse our wide selection of furniture, accessories and other decor.
What is a mid century style bathroom?
A midcentury bathroom often evokes a clean and neat feel with its laidback design. It is one of the most popular and timeless styles that many designers and homeowners adore. It is mostly minimalist and features clean lines with a variety of cool colors.