The Mediterranean design aesthetic is derived from the countries stretching along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. It is sometimes referred to as Spanish Modern or Tuscan style. This fashion was popular in the United States in the early 20th century and is making a resurgence now. To incorporate this trend into your next remodel, check out some of the Mediterranean bathroom ideas below.
The Key Characteristics of a Mediterranean-Style Bathroom
Inspiration from nature is a key component of Mediterranean bathroom designs. Here are some suggestions to give your washroom that coastal feel.
- Earth-based tiles: Tiles are some of the most important features in Mediterranean design. Usually, these bathrooms include terracotta tiles in warm colors. The floors tend to be straightforward and traditional, while wall tiles might be more ornate.
- Bright and bold colors: A Mediterranean color scheme is drawn from a warm palette, bringing to mind sunny days spent at the shore. This means a lot of yellow, orange, red and white. Add a touch of turquoise to evoke a sense of the sea.
- Curves and arches: Straight and sharp edges don’t belong in a Mediterranean-style bathroom room. If possible, the doorway, shower and mirror should be arched or curved.
- Vintage and new: Don’t be afraid to highlight pieces from different eras. Your bathroom can have a polished marble vanity with a rustic chair, or an elegant mirror with an old-fashioned chandelier.
- Natural wood: Wood cabinets and benches add to the natural feel of the Mediterranean aesthetic.
- Ornate lights: Hang something eye-catching — such as large lanterns or star-shaped pendants — from the ceiling. To stay in line with the natural feel, try to find lights made with materials such as antiqued glass, wrought iron or hammered metals.
- Vessel sinks: A vessel sink sits on top of the counter and often comes in a bowl shape, although other shapes are also available. They are typically easy to install and can increase the countertop space.
Why Choose a Mediterranean-Style Bathroom?
There are countless styles to choose from when remodeling your bathroom. Here are a few reasons to go with a Mediterranean theme.
- The design calls to mind images of nature and spending time at the beach. This can help you feel calm and relaxed after a long day, especially if you can’t travel to the Mediterranean.
- The eclectic quality of the Mediterranean style allows you to mix new furniture with old. Combine items you already have to create a unique design that sets your bathroom apart. Plus, you can easily change the decor every now and then to keep the room fresh.
- A remodel doesn’t have to be expensive. Simply painting the walls with Mediterranean-inspired colors could go a long way.
Now that you have some ideas, it’s time to start your Mediterranean bathroom remodel. You can find Mediterranean bathroom products and more ideas at Modern Bathroom.
What is a Mediterranean bath?
A sensory bath favouring skin elasticity, promoting the elimination of metabolic waste, and relaxing the back muscles.